Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas Bonus

This is the first year I ever received a Christmas bonus. It was very exciting. All of my families from Cultural Care Au Pair were given a survey and then a formula was attached to it, and I received some money based on how I scored. It was fun, & I bought myself a little something something with that. I'm feeling like a grown up.

That's not the Christmas bonus I am talking about though. Also not included were the wonderful presents from my boys ( special shout out to Nick & Mike for thoughtfulness this year) or my family or friends, although the sandal shaped can opener is already packed for the Cape & I cannot wait for the trip to see "Wicked" with Adele. My bonus, my real bonus, came from my clients.

The card from the client who I sat with for months while she grieved the loss of the child she had to give birth to after she had been told it had died. The card from the middle aged man who picked me< he admitted my proximity between work and home was a large part of his choosing process( I'll take it)> to share the story of the sexual and  physical abuse he had undergone as a boy, speaking of it for the frst time in his life. And the clients who, in sharing their stories,  unwittingly spoke to the turmoill in my own life, in ways that eased my own concerns about living with teen aged boys. The compliment of being given referrals, and lastly a client I hadn't seen in two years calling me and asking me to Skype therapy, as she wanted continue with me as a new crisis had come up in her life.
As my mother would say, money comes & goes. These things, these compliments, these people's faith in me, will last forever. I'm pretty sure I will ruin my coach bag before the warm feelings dissipate. Don't get me wrong, I am not a toot my own horn type of person. I am an example of that adage about the "problem with women is that they don;t realize how important they are". I am generally horrible at self marketing. But this year 2012. I decided it's time to own a bit more of who I am , and with the cards, and thank you's from clients who worked so hard to make their own lives better behind me, I can say with mostly utmost confidence: Sometimes, I really know what I am doing. And with this Christmas bonus, without a doubt, I must have done something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment