Monday, February 6, 2012

Define rude....

Getting my teeth cleaned is right up there with my yearly Gyn visit. Although I adore my midwife and can talked to her happily ignoring what she has to do. The dental hygienist is a different story. I do not like being held hostage in the chair being forced to listen to every stray thought that decides to meander through her head to the back ground noise of tartar being scraped from my teeth. And it takes energy, serious energy for me to say nothing, or grunt appropriately at intervals.
Today's rant went something like, " Do you read for yourself or for a book club?" she asks while it is impossible for me to answer between the two hands she has stuffed in my mouth. I brought the book to give off the idea of not wanting to engage in conversation. I sat there wondering if it would be rude to bring Walkman, yeah that was my first though should I bring a Walkman next time, then I realized it's not 1980 and I would be bringing my ipod nano with me. But is that rude, to overtly let someone know you do not want to chat it up with them.
Had I brought my ipod today, or at least headphone cause I could have plugged my phone it to my head I guess, I would have missed this titillating tidbit:

" I need to get a life, ha HUH! but I really don't have time to read. I like to read books that they are going to make into movies you know? I think they never make the movie as good  as the book and I like to rip it apart. Like "The Help", that movie was no where near as good as the book. Well I can't actually say that because I never actually saw the movie."  I would have missed that. I didn't bother telling her how many awards that amazing movie won.

So just to be clear, it would be rude of me to in anyway express to this young woman that I have zero interest in chatting while she is in my mouth, unless it is about my mouth? WHY would I be rude? Why isn't she rude for polluting the air with her silly rants?

For all I know you think I am polluting the world with my rant here. Well you don't have to read it. I am not holding you in a chair for 45 minutes with metal instruments scraping away at your mouth. And I am truly sorry if it feels like I am. :-)

1 comment: