Monday, April 30, 2012

WWYD?

So this whole it takes a village thing. I love it, I believe in it, and I am wondering to what extent it goes. What would you do?

One of my son's friends was given alcohol, which he showed to my son. OK, I am going light , he brought it, with my son's permission, over. Luckily they decided not to partake & were discovered, cause my kids are pretty bad at being bad. His father & I handled our son, and after my encouragement, his father made sure the other family was made aware of their child's actions. I would want to know.

Dear Newtownians,
     If you see any of the Roche children step over the line, feel free to both reprimand them,  & then PLEASE call me.

Thanks,
Cathy

But what about the older teen who gave my son's friend the alcohol. I want that name. I want his/her parents to know. I want to assume, they would want to know that their kid gave alcohol to a 14 year old.
My son's friend is clammed up, but he'll want to come over sooner or later and he will have to look me in the eye, I'm thinking I can get it out of him, but should I?

If I don't I feel like I am part of the turn your head & look the other way society. If I do.....I risk being seen as an even worse "that Mom" than the kids already see me as. & rippled social effects on my kids.

Thoughts???
Sorry no pictures, not feel it tonight.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough one Cath...Just some thoughts. Maybe to take the pressure of yourself and son's , and maybe son's friend too, discuss it with a guidance counselor at school. Even if this did not occur on school grounds, it involves students and their welfare and the whole child endangerment issue. If the counselor is any good and you impress upon them you have dealt with it in your home, but you need their help and would like to protect privacy and avoid scapegoating or whatever. A good counselor will be discrete and can discuss the issue with the kids who you know are involved and any others that may come forward and might have the ability to get others to "sing". Even if there is no interrogation, just talking about it with an objective party (whoever you feel comfortable with) will give clarity on how to handle it. "theantidrug.com" is a place I have consulted for such issues, and even though this incident doesn't rise to the level of addiction, drug treatment centers that have counselors who specialize in teen alcoholism are usually open to have you consult with a therapist for nothing. Whatever you decide to do, it's a good thing you are being proactive. The worst thing you could do is sweep it under the rug. Demonstrating a zero tolerance for such behavior will work in yours and the boys favor in the long run. Even if it pisses them off for the time being, they will be grateful one day : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took names out. That is why I deleted previous entries.

    ReplyDelete