Thursday, July 21, 2011

How long do you know someone till you know someone?

I love my mom, I do, I adore her. For years one of my traditions was to take her to a Broadway show a few times a year. Something we both love doing. We have not gone for a few years, times have been tough. This year I decided I was going to wait no longer, and I arranged my schedule so I could take her yesterday. So we went.

She was very patient while I disregarded what I knew ( the way to NYC) and listened to my Gamin which had us running in circles for an hour. Then we got to the Tickets booth. There were so many options, Billy Elliot, Mary Poppins, Jersey Boys, so many. And they are saying Broadway has never had a better year. Mom mentions Priscilla Queen of the Desert. She saw Bette Midler on the View talking about it. I am a Midler fan, but I also saw the movie version years ago. " Do you know what it's about mom?", I ask. "I know Bette Midler is behind it.".  She says smiling."Yes, but do you know it's about transvestites mom?" (I had in the recent past suffered through the raunchiness of the Joan Rivers "movie" with her recently and decided there is nothing good about hearing the "C" word or explicit sexual content while sitting next to your mom.) " Yeah I know". she says again, smiling, " And Bette Midler is behind it."

So we go, and we watch, and some of it is funny, and there were many fine looking males up there on that stage with little on (but again not something I want to experience next to my MOM). It was actually better for me than a female dancing cast which just makes me resent my short stumpy legs. And I did really love the dresses the older tranny wore, found myself really studying them, so I can find something like them, very feminine and flowing.
And then there was the scene that I forbid my kids to see in the "Hangover 2"- What those Asian girls do with ping pong balls! Really? Again? 
And she leans in to me and says "Thanks for coming with me, this is not something I could ever have brought my girlfriends to." And at once, I am flooded with two thoughts. One being " Really? that would have been uncomfortable for you?" And also, gratitude that I kept my mouth shut an let my mom have her experience.  I paused for a few moments and thought about all those trips to business trips to Vegas she took when I was a child. Perhaps there's more to Bev Jean than meets the eye. I certainly hope there is more to me than meets the eye. Not this necessarily.

1 comment:

  1. You never finish really knowing someone! Took my mom to see The Vagina Monologues when she turned 60. She's turning 70 and I'm still recovering!

    ReplyDelete