Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ladies Night

While ladies night is not a rare thing in my life, little talked about benefit of divorce is having two free from parenting weekends each month, having Adele join us out is a rare treat. When she called me up midday to find out what my evening plans were, to surprise me with the treat of her rare freedom ( she has NO free from parenting minutes) I screamed in the car. Michael, who was laying down in the back seat, looked at me like I was crazy. But ladies you know. You have lots of friends you love and enjoy, and you have a few who know exactly what you are thinking without you saying it. And who make you a better person just by being with you, and I crack her up, like tears streaming down her face crack her up, and that's pretty cool.


So she joined our posse and we headed to Splash down in Westport. The outside bar looked like the set & cast of Housewives of Fairfield County, with  ( any why haven't they added this?) a few dramatic gay couples thrown in for flavor. Entertaining. Inside was funky and cool, and after the waiter went to lengths to ask us how we wanted our food delivered, one of my  table mates chuckle. I asked her what was humorous, she said, "you will see". In spite of our well planned directions food was brought out willy nilly over the course of about 20 minutes, my crab cakes first , our shared dinner salad second to last. It was  a " we are SOOO cool that we can do this all ass backwards and you will still come back" NY kind of thing, It took Adele a good half hour to have her drink, which she ended up preparing for herself at our table made. Olives in one container, juice in another, ice in yet another and then there was the glass. LOL - or maybe they didn't want us to come back, not a bit of botox in our whole bunch. The 70 year old man making out with his pregnant 30 year old wife was really the icing on the cake for us.

So we went to check out some more of the local scene. I have to say the funniest part of the evening was watching some cougarettes fly into a flurry, animatedly pointing and whispering, when one of us "cougars" innocently enough started chatting it up with a male quasi attached to the group. Yes, we should have video'd it.  That was funny. Ahh the power of security VS insecurity...

Interestingly enough, the only member of our group hit upon by a male( not that we were looking for it) was the one member who has absolutely no use for the gender. As we were leaving this particular establishment he grabbed her at the door and started chatting her up, the rest of us walked into the street and I started to sing " One of these things is not like the others" Ala Sesame Street. I figured he'd figure it out sooner or later.
Maybe before I finished my song.

To be fair, one of our group was looking for a possibility. When discouraged at 1:30 she lamented" Where are all the good men?" I assured her that any man I would want to meet was probably at home, and sleeping at 1:30 in the morning, which is where I was hoping to be, soon. For me going out with the ladies, is really about enjoying their company and having a few laughs, - mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment