Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Shhhhh! Please do NOT repeat these!

I am only doing this because the kids swear they do not read my blog. But this stuff is PRICELESS!!

Kind of a litmus test for knowing you child still needs you to help navigate their way a bit.

1. We are in P-town on Friday evening. The local bank is "Seaman's Bank". now you & I know why it is called that, but with the sexually charged town, with testosterone filled boys, you know where they went with it. As I tried to convince my youngest that it's meaning was for fisherman, he came back to me with, " MOM, no, they did that on purpose"
"What do you mean?" I asked.
" Underneath the name, it says F' dick. They shouldn't do that, it's a bank."
I will admit I was perplexed for a moment and asked him to show me what he was talking about. He walked me to the sign, and sure enough,
under Seaman Bank it says FDIC.

2. A child tells me he wants ice cream. I hand him 5 singles. After making his selection he turns to me and hands me 4 back. I look quizzically at him, and the sign trying to find out what this bargain of the year was in P-town, where you can't get a single scoop without breaking a Lincoln. I ask, he points to a waffle cone in a display case that has a sticker on it that reads 75 cents. Oh if the world were only so sweet. I hand him back the 4 dollars. He gets it.

3. We are eating at some outdoor type food court. Not wanting to walk 6 boys to individual stalls to order their various meals, I become a flurry of handing out 10's & 20's. One takes a ten, but is slow to order anything. He as actually walking in circles, while everyone else was sitting down. I approached him and asked if he had found anything he like. He a said he did, but he was not going to buy it because it was a rip off. "What do you mean?" I asked. He says, "What I want costs $5 but they are going to charge me $10, so I am not buying it."  Again, I am saying "show me". We walk into the store and this lovely money conscious child points to the sign at the register that reads " Minimum charge $10".-

aside from giving me moments of extreme, albiet private, laughter,  these incidents were a reminder of the innocence, and the work yet in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment