Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day trips

Sometimes when riding in cars with boys we go on day trips. Truthfully whenever possible, partially because I believe it is a parents responsibility to expose their children to the outside world, and partially because whenever we are at home, for some strange reason there is challenging of the pecking order. If you have boys close in age, you know what I am talking about. If you don't, let me describe what happens. They cannot pass each other in the hallway without shoulder checking each other into the wall, fingers are wiggled in front of each others faces until someone looses it, pushing, shoving, taunting and yelling. Until someone declares some type of victory, or I have completely lost it. The boys have always been in the birth order they are today, they have always been each 19 months older or younger than the next one, no one has gained more age, height or weight on anyone else, why oh why is there a constant caveman like battle for power? Oldest wins, he's bigger and stronger, then the 2nd comes in 2nd , and the youngest is last. That's how it is,  & I think it will be for a good 5 or 6 years into the future. Nonetheless, every time we are alone together for a length of time,they have to test this basic principal.
So whenever we have a free day, I like to get them in the car, where punching each other takes a bit more effort as they can each command their own isle, and get out of dodge. This past weekend we went in to NYC and I heard from my 15 year old words I have been longing to hear for over ten years. We were standing in the middle of Time Square admiring the ball that will be dropping in a few short weeks, and he said "This is cool". He has never liked NYC, a place I LOVE.  He was freaked out by the crowds and the homeless people talking to themselves wandering in circles ( sounds a bit like me though on a bad day) I feel hopeful now that we can head in more often.
We had a great day. ( WARNING unlike in the movie "When in Rome", there are no taxidermy wolves running up the ramp at the Googenheim, which is what prompted me to bring the kids there) There are however lots of nude statues and paintings, which prompted our very quick visit and lots of apologizes from me to our co-ed group.
Oooops.

We went to Macy's, looked at the windows, went to the pop tart store, M&M's, Hershey, the Charmin bathroom stop complete with a video dance along and an MC chatting it up with people waiting in the lines for the facilities.We watched street performers saw the show on Saks exterior, saw the big tree. It was a very different experience for me with the girls than if it was just me & the boys.
And I am happy to say, it was a pleasure. The girls balanced out the day, far less jockeying for position went on, the boys were compliant with requests they would have strongly protested if I were alone with them. All in all a great Christmas success!

3 comments:

  1. Love having the girls there as a buffer. I need to have boys to buffer the onslaught of girls I travel with constantly! Kid4 just can't cut the mustard. Yet. But he will. Payback is a bitch. Your #3 will get his just due as well. patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenging the pecking order... Boy, do I live that every day. Love some advice on how to deal with that. In the meantime, looks like you had fun in NYC!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jg: I have to say I have taken the tact to ignore as much as possible or telling them to take it outside when ignoring didn't work. This will all be a distant memory someday

    ReplyDelete