Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Jury's out

This week I was lucky enough to go into NYC with Jane & her girls and one of their friends. Let me preface this by saying as a woman who had only brothers & now only sons, the girl thing intimidates me a little, Yes I know I am one, but dealing with them and being one is two very different beasts. I know the boy thing & the girl thing is different so it was kind of fun for me to compare ways in which we were.
No surprise to anyone, but living it is a different story, girls take WAYYYYYY longer to get ready. I am not one of them, perhaps having such a large family with military precision created my efficiency, but these little munchkins, not so much. Which is fine, but there's something to be said for 15 minutes from the bed to the car. Girls, well these girls, sing ou tloud in the car. I like that. My boys will do so on occasion, but not like this. As a matter of fact the girls were willing to sing in a singing restaurant, on the street, waiting in lines, in a non-singing restaurant while waiting again, or while eating dinner. All punishable by disownment from the boys but I was in my glory with the girls.  I like that. For me singing brings joy, and not just Christmas joy ala Buddy the elf, joy anytime of year. I like joy, joy's my favorite. So to recap, singing public loud singing girls YES boys No. Getting out the door in a timely manner, Boys Yes  Girls No.

Another thing I noticed is the gift shop phenomenon. With the boys we can get in and out of a building with a gift shop in about 2 minutes. They really do not want a pen with the Empire State Building lighting up when you turn it over, or anything else for that matter non food related anywhere else. After spending time, a good deal of time, waiting for the girls to explore every nic-nac  & bric a brac and charm available in EVERY gift shop we had the potential to investigate, as well as the one and only store in NY where you can get that ever elusive I heart NY t-shirt( I tried to tell them otherwise, I really did), I have a new appreciation for the males decisiveness and expedient nature when it comes to all things shopping. I do understand the females need to take in all information touch, look at and consider. To be fair, had we been to a store I too was interested in, like not the Bridal Shop at Macy's, ( spent some time waiting for them outside of there too. Did I mention they are pre-teens?) I may have wanted to wander a bit myself. But I remain confident no one I know needs a chocolate statue of the Empire State.This was after all their first trip to NYC so we waited. The boys would have HATED it. So perhaps God's plan of three sons does have it's benefit, I am not trying to keep a few calm while one window shops ever. Gift shops Girls Yes, Boys No.

admiring the tree
Picture taking. I am a big picture taker, my side entrance hallway is cover with my masterpieces ( of course that means semi focused pics of my babies) So when we go to NY , or anywhere, the kids know there will be a short amount of time they need to cooperate with picture taking before I go all Joan Collins on them.
" Smile G'D it!" "Act like you are having fun or no dinner!" Girls, or these girls I should say, found picture taking to be almost as intriguing as gift shop browsing. Any string of bright lights or however poorly costumed character they saw; was cause for a stop & take some pictures. I am sure Jane got some great ones, they were really cute all in their Santa hats all day ( another thing my boys, at these ages, would never do, although I did see a good many college aged young men sporting them, so perhaps they will grow into it) :-).  Pictures- Boys limited and contracted ( "You said only at the tree I don't care if they didn't come out or this is prettier, you said we only had to do it at the tree!") Girls -anytime any where "I am ready for my close-up Mr Demille"

All in all, both sexes have their strengths and weaknesses. Girls do appear to require more patience and boys more movement. Hey that's what I tell my clients in various ways every week Hmmmm. Happy Holidays all.

Oh one more thing. If you are going to the top of the Empire State Building, by pass the guys out front selling their version of the trip. Go inside & get it from the real guys. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment