Friday, December 17, 2010

Twas the week before Christmas

And all through the house, so little holiday cheer
"I have homework!" teenagers grouse.
The stocking were hung by the chimney, but who cares?
"We have essays and projects before we get there!"
The children are nestled all snug in the beds
With algebra, science and Spanish tests in their heads.
I don't wear a kerchief, & baseball is the only cap
A sinus headache keeps me from a nap.
When the boys are awake, usually such clatter
I often find myself asking " What is the matter?" ( with YOU????)
Tis the season for dolling out cash
Credit card bills I don't like to rehash.
I hear this Sunday we'll be getting some snow
I can feel my back hurting from deep down below
But that's ok, pretty lights will appear
Letting us know Christmas is near
Moving thru the streets, on ice we go quick
Not surprising in this house to hear me yell " Nick!"
"Leave him alone, Michael's his name!"
The constant teasing is really getting lame.
Get me on home, a cocktail I'll be mixin'
Remembering fondly days I felt like a vixen.
Ah, Christmas is not what it used to be at all,
So magical and warm when they were all small
They told me, those strangers, how time would fly
"Enjoy them now" They'd whisper as they'd walk by
And they were right, how the time flew
I was taller once, now shorter than two.
I still listen though,  for the noise on the roof,
Unfortunately it's leaks, never a hoof.
Each year at this time, my brother comes around
To CT for Christmas, reluctantly he is bound.
I'm always glad to have more under foot
Can't think of a line ending in soot.
Gifts from Grandma Bev will be breaking my back,
" I'm just doing stockings", turned into a Sack.
Each grandchild she made sure will be merry
lots of treats,  sundries and candies of cherry.
The house it is decorated, right down to the bow
On my iron chef in the kitchen, hanging for show
A tradition each year, new cleaners for their teeth,
New on the front door a self lighting wreath.
Cookie swap was today, loved the ones filled with jelly
Loved all of them actually, just look at my belly :-)
I really do try each year to be a bit more like an elf
As I age I take liberties with myself
Got some ideas for the future up In my head
Makes me feel like empty nesting is nothing to dread
I hear them calling, I must return to work,
" His name is Alex," I admonish "Don't call him a jerk"
Wishing for the power to lay a finger aside my nose
the good ol' days
Remembering mommy magic, from which all good things arose.
The sadness builds  inside me like a tea kettle whistle
Turning back time would be like finding a thistle ( in a hay stack)
I have to embrace today, for soon it will be out of sight.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment