Saturday, May 7, 2011

I must have done something good

I really connected with that song from the Sound of Music. I used to fantasize about playing it at my wedding. And while my Captain Von Trap remains MIA, I found myself humming it the other day with the same sense of peace I always imagined I would have. And while not the romantic whirl around the gazebo Maria encountered, it was good. And  it was prompted by Michael, my youngest.

Poor kid was home a few days this week suffering from his spring allergies, which apparently are immune to even RX medications. Poor kid. He was miserable. But during our two days together, in between my clients, we chatted, and played games and watched some TV. And he appreciated me, and he told me so. But that's not it.

 He approached me in the kitchen one day and told me he wanted to tell me something, but he didn't want me to be disappointed. Isn't that just about the perfect lure for a mother, right up there with " I have to tell you something but you have to promise not to get mad."  So I bit. He told me while I was out with his brothers on the trampoline the other night he logged on to a local radio station and nominated me as " Mother of the Year". Disappointed? Seriously? He said he didn't know if I would win. LOL. As I wrapped him in my arms, I told him I already had won.This is one occasion when it truly is an honor, just to be nominated.

Cue music "Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could. So somewhere in my youth, or childhood. I must have done something good."

No comments:

Post a Comment