Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pit Stop

Occasionally I need a pit stop from riding in cars with my boys. The purpose of a pit stop is to refuel, check systems, a break from the race. A little talked about advantage of divorce is 2 weekends a month to spend however I would like. Honestly most are spent still on some field somewhere watching one of my athletes do their stuff. Sometimes though, it is truly about me. Like this one.

My marvelously, wonderful friend Jane & I are escaping to her New Hampshire hideaway to spend a girls weekend getting ready for the holidays. Jane is an amazing woman, you may have read about her as the mystery nurse who saved a child's life on a beach in Massachusetts by administering an Epi-pen. She casually mentioned her heroism as we were floating in the waters of Cancun several years ago on another pit stop. Thats Jane, national attention swept into her life for a brief period of time, then life goes on. I believe as a nurse, being exposed to the realities of the human condition in the most raw form, Jane has a certain acceptance and a lack of pretentiousness that is rare. And I treasure it.


Jane & I with too much forehead at the cape

Jane is the type of friend that I can count on for 100% honesty, crazy situations and hilarity. I actually refused to take her phone calls for a few days after a recent surgery because I knew she'd make me laugh and it would hurt too much. I can also count on her to keep me grounded. In telling her daughter why she would be missing her cheer competition this weekend due to our plans she told her." Life happens  and you need to make time to spend time with the people you care about and this is a traditions Cathy & I have done and want to carry on, and you will have other competitions I will see." I love her for that. She's also the second person, mom being first, to call me out on grammatical errors on this blog. She encourages me, challenges me, supports me and is a great example of juggling it all, successfully.


Take your pit stops, make sure you have an awesome pit crew, make time for the people you care about, including you.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment