Sunday, January 23, 2011

#3

Onward with my 20 date challenge. Date 3 was Friday night and all I can say is "Really?"

I used to, until Friday, say "There's no such thing as a bad date, it is either a good time, or a good story, or maybe both." Well, I have to reevaluate that, and maybe sometimes, it's just a bad date. I make sure to include something I like in the evening so all is not lost, but " Really?".

I did break one of my rules, which my brother goaded me on before the date. I did not do the pre-requisite screening phone call. In part because of the challenge and feeling like I need to be more open to it, and in part because this man was selected for me by a dating site computer system claiming to match us up on 29 dimensions.  I have yet to figure out what those 29 dimensions are. It does seem 2 arms and 2 legs and 2 eyes account for 6 of them. To be fair, he also came from a large Irish family ( .5 points there). We were both alive, so that counts.
Other than that, I knew in 2 seconds.

And the rest of the time he just supported my initial hypothesis. Some may say I looked for him to support it. But my friend who "just happened" to stop by the coffee shop we ended up at gave me a thumbs down, which just validated what I already knew.

My rules for dates are not truly that hard. Perhaps some of my male readers could weigh in on this:
1. If you are over 30 and we are not going for a run.( which will NEVER HAPPEN) please do not wear sneakers on a first date.
2. Hold open the doors
3. Pay for the frigging Hot Chocolate, or wine or whatever!
4. Occasionally break up your monologue with a question that indicates you may want to know more something about me, this is not a free therapy session.
5. I don't want to find how who you work for by the logo on your shirt. I got out of my orthodics & put on heels to meet you, you can change your shirt.
6. I won't tell you my war stories, please don't tell me yours. Your divorce is finally, we all have our own story with our own slant. There is nothing sexy about sordid divorce details.

I think that's a good start.

Maybe he knew immediately too so the bad behavior was meant to insure a negative outcome. But no, I've had this behavior before followed up with a request for a second date, so I can't chalk it up to that.

I'm gonna keep plugging, my fellow single friends, feel free to add your thoughts.
 & I hope my married friends take a look at this and go give their partner a big smooch! ( and hold it for 18 seconds) for having what it takes to keep it going.


2 comments:

  1. I am so with you on the sneakers, despite being somewhat happily married most days. Unless you're sweating, take off the athletic wear and logo shirts. What a doozey -- keep up the good work, and keep on telling us all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree with all but #5

    ReplyDelete