Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Challenge

So one of my newly single girlfriends challenged me to go out on 20 dates this year. That may not seem like a lot, but I will tell you, considering my dread of dating, it's work. You could have just asked me to run a marathon instead. The two at the end of December don't count, so I am only at a count of two. But  the sheer numbers of how many men don't even make the cut for coffee ugh!  I have a system, learned the hard way, always chat by phone prior to meeting in person, to see if it's even worth dragging my cookies out of the house. The man who taught me this lesson lambasted me on the phone for having dogs. Literally " Why do you own dogs? They are horrible!"  & I was like, "seriously dude we do not have to meet, we're good." So glad that happened via phone & not in person. Last night I spoke with a runner from NYC, until his Long Island accent ruined it for me. I have a single friend who routinely turns down the NY accent. I thought she was being short sided, but now, I get it.
But I am determined. I do see it as a positive thing. Especially with my last post. Time did not heal the wounds, or decrease the love for my personal "Mr Big" so perhaps new memories with new men will. (I have no fantasies that he will find me on the floor in a hotel in Paris to save the day )

This is a hard thing though, really. Not just because on some level any date gets compared to my Mr Big, but because so many just make me feel    well   nothing. Last week it was the talker....talk  talk talker....I literally had to cannon ball my way into the conversation and he didn't even offer to pay for my hot chocolate! Then there are those who are so nervous their hands are shaking. uck! Don't get me wrong, I am a little nervous on first dates too. Sometimes, for no clear reason I get sick to my stomach leading up to it. But while I am there, I like to think I at least look reasonably composed. I think this all taught me I need a man who is confident and self sustaining and emotionally available. I laugh a lot, love kids & dogs. Family oriented, but looking to get out of dodge when my youngest is done with school. Oh where or where can he be???

2 down, one scheduled, waiting for another to return from his trip abroad to meet.... not bad. Plus Starbucks has this most amazing salted Caramel Hot Chocolate! I can talk to anybody( almost, not dog hater or accent guy) for an hour sipping that!

If anyone knows of any wonderful , emotionally stable single adult type man...LMK! I need 16 to be exact.

No comments:

Post a Comment