Friday, January 7, 2011

SNOW DAYS!

Love em or hate em, if you live in CT, you get them. You may have guessed I love them. Anytime to play more with my kids is a bonus for me. I am very aware that three years from now Alex's " Snow days" will be on a campus somewhere, where hopefully he will be doing what he is doing right now, which is sleeping in his bed. Only I will not get the privilege of making breakfast for him that day. Yep, I said it, privilege. Being able to do something for someone you love, to me, is a privilege. And while the time is passing, without my consent or even consultation, I will , with "God as my witness" ( Ala Scarlett O'Hara) joyfully make them breakfast, play a game, referee their fights and whatever else a snow day requires.

I remember when they were little, I divide my life with the boys by the houses we lives in, and this was the "big house" in Ridgefield. Snow days there meant helping everyone on with their gear as they could not do it themselves, hide and seek in the house, painting, baking and me drinking a whole 2 litre bottle of diet coke. One winter we apparently had so many of them that my breasts began to hurt. My midwife told me it was the caffeine, and I'd need to find another way to keep up with three little boys on snow days. Apparently we were not meant to drink the entire bottle in one day.

Once again, we have a snow day sans snow, so far. But that still works for me. I exposed two of my sons to a foreign film, with subtitles. They had previously not known this was one of their mother's interests. And we had a talk about the state of men & women around the world, and old traditions and religion. and if we had any bacon I could make with their pancakes for breakfast. By the way, the movie is called "Water" it was beautiful, fascinating, terrifying. And once again made me thankful for the privilege of caring for my kids, and for love in all of it's forms.

I can smell bacon burning. Gotta run. Have fun today and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment