Friday, February 4, 2011

Off the hook- 20 date challenge

Well I almost had date 4 & 5 locked up. Almost as in, doesn't count unless you are playing horseshoes. Then, they fell off the hook, or perhaps I inadvertently took the hook out of their mouths. #4 seemed somewhat promising. The first time we spoke, not only did he make me laugh, but at the time he was COOKING....for a party he was going to. You had me at spatula.  Then, when I was unable/ unwilling to ditch my children on my BIRTHDAY to meet him for drinks, he disappeared back into the murk of the pond. Seriously, I do think he was asking a lot. Maybe some women would have done it. Not me, he doesn't get me.

Number 5 was even more of a mystery. After constant texting for two days, and a quick but sweet phone call, I woke up on my Bday to a text stating he woke up with a smile on his face thinking about me. Now my Red Tent mates all went "Awww" when I shared this with them. Several made jokes about what a " Smile on my face thinking about you" was a metaphor for.  But not a one got my alarm, then again none of them have their Master in Marriage & Family Therapy.  I know too much. And if I can make someone who has never seen me or met me smile, well that has just about nothing to do with me. We still chatted a bit that day, I was rolling with it.
Then Sunday evening, after the kids & I returned from hearing my favorite folk artist, Kevin Briody, playing at the Wilton library, I received a " Cathy, are you ok?" text. Apparently he had an expectation to hear from me sooner. Pretty sure I had not said it was a possibility. I knew what my day entailed. And I felt strangled. I do not need to be checking in with someone I have not even met yet to let them know my whereabouts. You know? Back off buddy. I've got three busy kids and two jobs, a life and until I know you are worth moving things around for, you get what I can give. Funny thing is, we did recover again from this and last I heard we bid each other Good Night on Sunday, then he disappeared back into the pond.

So the truth is, you never do know what's in that pond, what baggage they are swimming around with. Which other hooks they are potentially eyeing. And maybe, some of this is just out of my hands and at the right time
for me & for him, a fish that fits will be near my hook just when I am ready to pull it out of the water.

What should have been number 6, but now is number 4 is Sunday.. Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment