Thursday, October 14, 2010

Matt, my fourth

As I stated in my first post, I always wanted to have a house my kids were comfortable in, where their friends could hang-out. Growing up with 5 brothers there was always people around, and being that I was the only girl, my mom was generous about letting me have friends over frequently. We had Orly Ronan live with us for a year, when her family moved to New Jersey. Going from the only girl to sharing a 9 x 11 room with someone was a growth experience. My family had always "adopted" people. Several generations ago my Grandfather's cousin's came to live with him as children, as their parents could not care for them for a time. It's tradition.

So it is a natural extension that my house is usually busy. And I love it. I saw a home video recently that was 10 years old, pre-schoolers and early elementary kids jumping on my couches, standing and dancing on chairs. I remember my mother admonishing her grandkids exhuberant behavior with a " This is NOT Aunt Cathy's house" , when they spread their wings elsewhere. It's a house where kids can be kids, and nothing is too valueable that if you break it it really matters. We made the basement the "mancave" complete with a huge TV ( thanks Kevin) and a huge coach & small fridge ( thanks Tina). They are comfortable here. Not only do I get to enjoy my own boys interacting with their friends close up, I get to hear more about their lives.Once some of my sons' friends stopped by to grab a snack & go through my halloween costumes even though they knew my son wasn't home. They know the side door is open, and if you've been here more than once, you know just to come in. I want people to be comfortable here, so this leads me to Matt.


Matt, after his " Can a kid fit in a dryer "experiment- and yes he can

Matt is my son Nick's best friend and has become the  my first official unofficial-adopted child.  He calls me "Cat" or  "Cat-dog" don't remember where that's from. He has wonderful parents, and an older sister that he enjoys. But he & Nick seem to need each other,( Matt was away for a week after we were away for a week last summer. I thik it was the longest they had gone not seeing each other in years. This left Nick, grieving I think,  laying on the couch, watching old seasons of The Office so much that he talked only in Office quotes for several weeks) Frick & Frack my mom would say, I believe it's called a bro-mance today. So, he is here, a lot. The past two summers the boys were inseperable. He has come on vacation with us twice. He has been to family parties and took part in Cousin's Camp ( an annual tradition with the 16 grandkids) His presence is a given and in his absense he is missed. He is the seasoning to the oil and vinegar my children are without him here. All together, they make a nice combination. He pushes us all out of the box, we talk more to each other when Matt is around. He pitches in with chores, (he just set the table) he is helpful the way I hope my own kids are helpful when they are at someone else's house. He adds humor and laughter and feels like part of us. When his parents thank me for all the time he is here, or express concern that it is too much, I tell them, and I mean it, he makes us all better, together.

So thank you Stephanie & Laz for sharing your wonderful son with us. And Matt,  I hope this is good enough for you. I think the garbage in the basement needs to go out. I'd say " I love you like your one of my own", but you would say "eewww" and call me a "pedophile" so let's not go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment