Sunday, October 10, 2010

Something is going right

Walking the tightrope of male-female relationships
My 14 year old accurately predicted my period yesterday. At this time in my life it is something of an unwanted surprise party that shows up at it's own will. I don't even bother keeping track and have not until recently even had symptoms of PMS. I started noticing them last year.
Since my boys do not have an adult in house male/female relationship to learn from, and realizing this will leave them completely dazed and confused when they find themselves living with another female, I sat them all down and gave them a little lesson on when Mom is...well let's say prone to stealing your Halloween, Easter or Christmas candy no matter how long it's been sitting on your dresser and other tell tale symptoms.

 Nick noticed my uncharacteristic response to the woman in the white car who had to get in front of me in the fast lane on 84 and then drive 45 to the mall!, ( yes that is the absolute best description a cop will ever get from me in talking about a car and yes still a bit peeved). My usually cooing of  " okay honey, whatcha trying to do this morning?" which gets a negative review as ineffectual from my 15 year old ( then again EVERYTHING I do gets a negative review from that one.And since when is calling someone an expletive making anyone a better driver Alex???  huh MR know it all, huh?) I digress.
Anyway, my usual calm reaction was replaced by something, say, colorful.
A little while later he saw my impatience with a server not having lunch items ready. I understand pretzel stands at the mall do not have a high standard of work ethic but the picture of the hot dog wrapped pretzel should not be up there if they are not ready to serve them at 11:45. Just saying. Nick turned to me, put his hand on my shoulder and asked " Are you getting your period?" What I love about this, why I think I must be doing something right, is his asking was purely out of amusement and curiosity. That is exactly the right way to handle this woman in a PMS state. And that any sign of impatience from me is out of character and cause to suspect impending menstrual cycle. ( yahoo!)

The fact that he was right several hours later is just salt on the pretzel.

No comments:

Post a Comment