Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Put your mask on first

She told me I looked great in everything, but bought herself nothing. She told me I could do anything, and then took over her boss' job at a fraction of the pay. She told me I was smart, strong and free, and she stayed trapped in an unhealthy relationship that not only damaged her, but her children as well. And as children do,  I followed her example of a woman's worth instead of absorbing her words as wishes for me. It took a crisis for me to learn this lesson.

"Put your mask on first", the flight attendant says, "before assisting others." As a young mother with three children on a flight I often smirked at this command. Like any woman in her right mind would make sure she was okay while her child struggled. And yet it is what we must do. In little ways, everyday.

But first, if you are like most women I know, you need to find out what "your mask" is.
 What brings you oxygen, life, joy?
What energizes you and makes it so you can return to your difficult and time consuming job of taking care of others?
Years ago, when I was training to be a therapist a speaker was brought in to a class for some comic relief, and to deliver a message. I always prefer my messages to be delivered with comic relief personally. I think they stick better. One of the things she told us was if we each made a list of ten things that nurtured us each day, and did them, we would never need therapy. My list has changed over the years as my life has changed, but I find I am in a better mood when I hit at least 8 out of my ten each day. They do not have to be big things, and they should be things you have some control over.

1. Look out the picture window in my bedroom, see the sunrise & thank God for it
Sunrise out that window-Room design- Linda Burhance
Paint- Adele Unger
2. Feel the softness of my pillowcases on my cheek
3. S-T-R-E-T-C-H
4. A mug of hot tea (several mugs, vats really)
5. Go for a walk
6. Talk to a few friends
7. Hug my boys *
8. Laugh out loud
9. Pet and baby talk my dogs
10. Do something from my to do list
11. Dance
12. Sing out loud
13. Connect with a family member

I have a few extra in case the weather doesn't cooperate with my sunrise or walking. I do these things everyday and they nourish me. Participating in these activities keeps me in the here & now. They keep me balance and available for those I love.

My mom did the best she could, and is now, possibly for the first time in her life, learning how to put her mask on first. I am grateful to her and proud to be her daughter. 

Now go, make your list of what nourishes you.  Then do them! :-)
Put your mask on first, so you can help your kids with theirs.

* By design, even with shared custody, there are only two days each month that I do not see them at some point during the day


3 comments:

  1. I know that expression well, Cathy! And when my little birdies grew up and left the nest...I still had a life and a "me"! Yoga, writing and cooking for my friends are all the things that nourish me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing Gael, your energy is more than apparent! And inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this post three times over Cathy..I have photos of my girls at my desk, and numerous ones on my phone that I look at every day. I love my family, extended and biological. Our friends are so much fun, they are honest, supportive and beautiful human beings. Life is good and there is ALWAYS a bright side!

    ReplyDelete